Ready to mix up your boring old rice bowl? Here's our take on a simple Poke Bowl. Filled with carbs, protein, and veggies- these will keep you fueled and dinner interesting.
Tips to prepare:
- I love Trader Joe's frozen fish filets and fresh tofu. I use a lot of these to make dinner easy and incorporate different types of protein into meals.
- You can add whatever veggies you want or have on hand!
- This is awesome hot or cold, so don't be afraid to make leftovers. (But don't you dare nuke leftover fish, that's nasty.)
- Protien of choice (I've used Ahi Steaks)
- Rice of choice
- Green onion
- Topping ideas: Seaweed, Sesame seeds, wasabi, pickled ginger
Pulling it Together:
- I like to "pickle" my cabbage a bit before eating. You can do this now or prior to dinner. The longer it soaks, the more vinegar-y it will be! Do this with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar + a pinch of salt. Set aside in fridge.
- Get your rice going. 1 cup dry + 2 cups of water (perfect for 2 people). Cover and let boil, then immediately turn down to a low simmer until tender (~20 mins).
- Prep veggies by slicing them thinly. I like to put them in separate dishes so everyone can build their own bowls.
- When rice has about 10 mins left, heat a cast iron pan to medium/high.
- Season your protein with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add to the hot pan, searing on each side for 3-4 mins (for Ahi). DO NOT overcook!
- Let the protein settle on a cutting board for a few minute before slicing.
- Build your bowls and top with whatever yummy extras you have! I love adding jalepenos, sesame seeds, wasabi, or seaweed salad.