Mindy's Super Smoothie
I'm a creature of habit. With the crazy workload I juggle and the desire to still squeeze in a solid balance of biking/running/yoga/strength, I like to keep things simple. That's why I eat the same thing every.single.morning (weekdays anyway... I like to get a little crazy on the weekends). This is my secret smoothie recipe that keeps me fueled from breakfast until lunch. While this is the recipe I've created over years of testing, I always leave room for interpretation.
Hold onto your blender, folks!
- 1 small beet (or half of a medium one)
- 1 1/2" chunk of fresh ginger
- 1 handful of greens (spinach or kale are my preference)
- 1 tiny avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries
- 1 cup almond milk (or whatevver your preference)
- 1 scoop plant protein (I use Vega One)
I toss all of these delicious things into my Vitamix and blend the hell out of it! It creates a thick, creamy smoothie. While technically probably 2 servings worth, I down the entire thing. Like I said above, it lasts from breakfast (about 7am) to lunch (12pm). Even better? You'll eat more fruits and veggies in this one meal than most of your co-workers do in an entire day!
A few pro tips:
- I always keep a ziploc of peeled frozen bananas in the freezer at all times. Stay tuned for other great treats that will use these.
- I like the Vega One protein powder, but you can use whatever you prefer. Plant based protein powders tend to be more easily digested and not give you that bloated feeling Whey protein does.
- Don't stress about peeling the beets or ginger! You'll never notice once it's blended up. Same goes for cooking the beets. No need!
- I use whatever frozen fruit I have on hand. Anything will do.